{"id":22168,"date":"2023-08-07T21:11:05","date_gmt":"2023-08-07T21:11:05","guid":{"rendered":"http:\/\/www.16news.com.au\/?p=22168"},"modified":"2023-08-07T21:11:05","modified_gmt":"2023-08-07T21:11:05","slug":"inaction-on-red-fire-ants-to-sting-nsw","status":"publish","type":"post","link":"http:\/\/www.16news.com.au\/index.php\/2023\/08\/07\/inaction-on-red-fire-ants-to-sting-nsw\/","title":{"rendered":"Inaction on red fire ants to sting NSW"},"content":{"rendered":"\n<p>Nationals MPs from both Queensland and NSW have joined farmers to call for swifter action and more funding to stop the invasive red fire ant from marching across the border.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p>New documents detailing the new four year eradication plan, and the revised 2023\/24 work plan have revealed delays by Labor Governments are severely hampering the response.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p>The implications include reduced activity on the ground and the risk of missing the current winter treatment window, as well as delays in engaging personnel, purchasing bait and deploying surveillance measures.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p>NSW Nationals Leader Dugald Saunders said the setback is extremely concerning after a new outbreak was discovered just 5.5km from the state.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p>\u201cNSW is at extreme risk of being invaded with the distance now close enough for a single queen red fire ant to fly across the border and start an infestation here,\u201d Mr Saunders said.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p>\u201cAt the July 13 national agricultural ministers meeting, all governments committed to ongoing fire ant eradication but so far only NSW and Queensland have tipped funding into the kitty.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p>\u201cThe NSW Government needs to take this more seriously. It should be calling on Federal Labor to do what\u2019s needed now, instead of waiting until it is too late.\u201d<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p>The failure of the Commonwealth and other states to commit their funding has resulted in a reduced budget of only $84 million for 2023\/24, which is $49 million short of the $133 million required for full eradication.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p>This will lead to a 50% reduction in the proposed treatment area and a huge reduction in targeted surveillance and public communication.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p>Member for Tweed Geoff Provest said the arrival of the pest would have a catastrophic impact in the Tweed.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p>\u201cFire ants kill off native plants and animals and damage ecosystems beyond repair, they sting people, pets and livestock and can result in the closure of parks, playgrounds and beaches,\u201d Mr Provest said.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p>\u201cOur region benefits from millions of dollars in tourism every year and restricting the use of our backyards and public spaces will put that vital income at risk.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p>\u201cBorder residents frequently travel in and out of NSW and we need to ensure everyone is on the lookout for these highly invasive pests that can be found in hay, potted plants, mulch, soil, sand, turf and on agricultural machinery.\u201d<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p>President of the Tweed Cane Growers Association Robert Hawken said fire ants pose a risk to farmers, crops and machinery.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p>\u201cFire ants have no natural predators in Australia, therefore their population is rapidly expanding,\u201d Mr Hawken said.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p>\u201cProducers of small crops and vegetables need to be concerned that fire ants can eat through seeds, tunnel through the roots and stems of crops and damage irrigation systems and machinery.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p>\u201cNSW needs to do a much better job than their Queensland counterparts in controlling the spread of this very invasive and dangerous pest.\u201d<\/p>\n","protected":false},"excerpt":{"rendered":"<p>Nationals MPs from both Queensland and NSW have joined farmers to call for swifter action and more funding to stop the invasive red fire ant from marching across the border. New documents detailing the new four year eradication plan, and the revised 2023\/24 work plan have revealed delays by Labor Governments are severely hampering the &hellip; <a href=\"http:\/\/www.16news.com.au\/index.php\/2023\/08\/07\/inaction-on-red-fire-ants-to-sting-nsw\/\" class=\"more-link\">Continue reading<span class=\"screen-reader-text\"> &#8220;Inaction on red fire ants to sting NSW&#8221;<\/span><\/a><\/p>\n","protected":false},"author":1,"featured_media":0,"comment_status":"open","ping_status":"open","sticky":false,"template":"","format":"standard","meta":{"footnotes":""},"categories":[4],"tags":[],"class_list":["post-22168","post","type-post","status-publish","format-standard","hentry","category-nswnews"],"_links":{"self":[{"href":"http:\/\/www.16news.com.au\/index.php\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/22168","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"http:\/\/www.16news.com.au\/index.php\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts"}],"about":[{"href":"http:\/\/www.16news.com.au\/index.php\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/post"}],"author":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"http:\/\/www.16news.com.au\/index.php\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/users\/1"}],"replies":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"http:\/\/www.16news.com.au\/index.php\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/comments?post=22168"}],"version-history":[{"count":1,"href":"http:\/\/www.16news.com.au\/index.php\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/22168\/revisions"}],"predecessor-version":[{"id":22169,"href":"http:\/\/www.16news.com.au\/index.php\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/22168\/revisions\/22169"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"http:\/\/www.16news.com.au\/index.php\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=22168"}],"wp:term":[{"taxonomy":"category","embeddable":true,"href":"http:\/\/www.16news.com.au\/index.php\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/categories?post=22168"},{"taxonomy":"post_tag","embeddable":true,"href":"http:\/\/www.16news.com.au\/index.php\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/tags?post=22168"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}