Man charged after shots allegedly fired near Cessnock

A man has been charged after shots were allegedly fired in the Hunter Valley earlier this week.
Just before 3pm (Tuesday 17 September 2019), emergency services were called to Scott Street at Weston, following reports shots had been fired.
Police have been told that a 27-year-old man – accompanied by an 18-year-old man – attended a business on Scott Street, where he was allegedly threatened by three men, armed with a firearm, a tomahawk, and a hammer.
The pair fled the location in a Toyota Land Cruiser after the 27-year-old man was struck through the driver’s side window with a tomahawk, and shots were fired into the driver’s side door.
Officers attached to Hunter Valley Police District attended and commenced inquiries.
The 27-year-old man suffered minor injuries and did not require hospitalisation.
Following inquiries, a 33-year-old man attended Kurri Kurri Police Station about 4.10pm today (Friday 20 September 2019), where he was arrested and charged with discharge firearm with intent cause grievous bodily harm, assault occasioning actual bodily harm in company of others.
The Kurri Kurri man was refused bail to appear at Newcastle Local Court tomorrow (Saturday 21 September 2019).
Investigations are continuing.

Man charged with array of offences following pursuits ending near Singleton

A man has been charged with multiple offences after police pursuits ending near Singleton last night.
Just after 6pm (Friday 20 September 2019), officers attached to the Traffic and Highway Patrol Command were conducting stationary speed enforcement on Putty Road at Mellong, when they attempted to stop a Mitsubishi Outlander which was allegedly travelling at 125km/h in a 100km/h zone.
A pursuit was initiated when the Mitsubishi failed to stop, during which time it allegedly reached high speeds and crossed to the incorrect side of the road multiple times.
The pursuit was terminated due to safety concerns, before another pursuit was initiated on Putty Road at Howes Valley.
Road spikes were deployed on Broke Road near the intersection of Putty Road which caused the vehicle to leave the road and collide with a tree before coming to a stop.
The driver – a 34-year-old man – was arrested and taken to John Hunter Hospital under police guard for treatment to minor injuries.
The passenger – a 37-year-old woman – was also taken to John Hunter Hospital to be treated for minor injuries.
The man has been charged by virtue of two outstanding warrants, police pursuit – not stop – drive dangerously (x2), exceed speed limit over 20km/h, drive whilst licence suspended, goods in custody, possess prohibited drug, and other traffic-related offences.
He was refused bail to appear via AVL at Newcastle Bail Court today (Saturday 21 September 2019).

Police arrest driver who fled crash scene – Newcastle

Police have arrested a man following a crash in the state’s mid north coast last night.
Emergency services were called to the Pacific Highway near Tomago Road, Tomago about 11.50pm (Thursday 19 September 2019), after reports of a two-vehicle crash.
Police have been told that a Subaru Impreza and Toyota Camry were travelling in a south-bound direction, when the Toyota collided with the rear of the Subaru, causing the Subaru to lose control before coming to rest, overturned in a culvert.
The Toyota came to a stop a short distance from the Subaru, with the driver getting out and running in a southerly direction along the Hexham Bridge.
Officers attached to Port Stephens-Hunter Police District and the Dog Unit arrived and located the driver of the Toyota, a 47-year-old man, hiding within the grounds of a nearby business.
He was arrested and taken to John Hunter Hospital for treatment to minor injuries and mandatory testing.
With assistance from Fire and Rescue NSW and NSW Ambulance paramedics, the driver of the Subaru, a 59-year-old man, was extricated and taken to John Hunter Hospital for treatment for hip and leg injuries.
Officers attached to the Crash Investigation Unit have established a crime scene and will conduct inquiries into the circumstances surrounding the crash.
The 47-year-old is expected to be charged once he is released from hospital.

Man charged with almost $2-million worth of alleged fraud – Kurri Kurri

A man will face court next month after allegedly defrauding a Hunter Valley business of close to $2-million over a seven year period.
In August 2017, detectives from Hunter Valley Police District launched an investigation into several alleged fraudulent transactions at a licenced premises in Kurri Kurri between 2010 and 2017.
Following extensive inquiries, about 2.45pm yesterday (Thursday 19 September 2019), a 52-year-old man was arrested and taken to Dubbo Police Station.
Police will allege the man, who was an employee at the time, fraudulently obtained approximately $1.9-million.
He was charged with dishonestly obtain financial advantage by deception. He was granted conditional bail to appear at Kurri Kurri Local Court on Tuesday 15 October 2019.

City delivers works in face of ongoing Stockton erosion

City of Newcastle will undertake multi-million dollar works at the northern end of the Mitchell Street seawall to protect it from future failure caused by ongoing coastal erosion.
The City has undertaken emergency works at Stockton Beach in response to unprecedented erosion impacts in recent weeks, including protecting sections of the coastline with one-tonne sandbags and closing beach access for public safety.
Stocktonweb.jpgCity of Newcastle CEO Jeremy Bath said the City was doing everything it was allowed to do under State Government legislation to protect property and public safety at Stockton.
“City of Newcastle is committed to protecting the Stockton coast and community, including emergency works like sandbagging, and working with the State Government to secure approval and support for a long-term solution for the area,” Mr Bath said.
“While I understand footage of the huge loss of sand immediately in front of Stockton Surf Life Saving Club, the adjacent car park and Lexie’s Café are difficult for the community to see, coastal engineers have confirmed the seawall built by the City in 2017 is working and these assets are safe for the long-term.
“The State Government endorsed the Newcastle Coastal Zone Management Plan in late 2018. This Plan only provides City of Newcastle with approval to undertake short to medium actions, but critically no long-term actions to counter coastal erosion,” he said.
Lord Mayor of Newcastle Cr Nuatali Nelmes said the City and the community want Stockton Beach to be a usable beach enjoyed by the public.
“City of Newcastle’s preferred option is to bring sand back to the coastline. However, this can only be done via the State Government’s Coastal Management Program process.
“We are working with Government agencies on the development of a Coastal Management Program which legislation dictates will come into effect from 31 December 2021. This Program will include a long-term solution to ongoing erosion at Stockton.
“Until then, are hands are tied in terms of what we can do, unless the State Government intervenes.
“The City’s priority right now however is keeping the community safe. We remind people to remain away from the top and bottom of the sand cliffs as they have potential to collapse without warning,” she said.
Meanwhile, due to south easterly swell and tide on the back of limited sand accretion, Stockton Beach has seen further coastal erosion south of the Mitchell Street seawall.
Cabins at the holiday park were vacated this week as a precautionary measure ahead of condition inspections by City of Newcastle Coastal Engineering specialists. The cabins have now been reopened.
City of Newcastle has spent more than $5 million since 2015 on managing erosion at Stockton, including the recent emergency works.

Two charged in connection to murder of Danielle Easey

Homicide Squad detectives have charged two people over their alleged roles in the murder of Danielle Easey, after her body was discovered in a creek near Newcastle.
About 10.30am on Saturday 31 August 2019, police were called to Cockle Creek, near Wakefield Road, Killingworth, after members of the public saw an item wrapped in plastic floating in the water.
The plastic, containing a woman’s body, was removed from the water by officers.
The woman was formally identified as 29-year-old, Danielle Easey, who lived in Booragul with family, but had more recently been staying at multiple locations around the area.
A post mortem examination revealed Danielle had been seriously assaulted and stabbed.
Detectives from the State Crime Command’s Homicide Squad and Lake Macquarie Police District established Strike Force Furzer to investigate the circumstances surrounding her death.
Inquiries have revealed Danielle was murdered at a home at Narara on or around Saturday 17 August 2019, before being transported and dumped at Cockle Creek.
Following extensive investigations, strike force detectives arrested a 33-year-old man at an industrial premise at Cardiff just before 10am today (Thursday 19 September 2019).
About an hour later, a 32-year-old woman was arrested with assistance from Strike Force Raptor North at a home at Holmesville.
Detectives subsequently executed two crime scene warrants at the Cardiff industrial premise and a home at Narara, and a search warrant at the Holmesville home.
Specialist forensic police are continuing to examine the Cardiff and Narara properties.
Investigators seized a Mitsubishi Delica at Cardiff which has been forensically examined.
The man was taken to Belmont Police Station and charged with murder. He was refused bail to appear at Belmont Local Court today (Friday 20 September 2019).
The woman was taken to Toronto Police Station and charged with accessory after the fact to murder and dishonestly obtain financial advantage etc by deception. She was refused bail to appear at Toronto Local Court today (Friday 20 September 2019).
Police will allege in court that the woman has assisted the man by impersonating Danielle on one of her social media accounts after her death to gain access to money.
 

Investigation underway after shots fired near Cessnock

Police are investigating after shots were fired in the Hunter Valley today.
Just before 3pm (Tuesday 17 September 2019), emergency services were called to Cessnock Road at Weston, following reports shots had been fired.
On arrival, officers from Hunter Valley Police District located a 27-year-old man with a wound to his head.
He was treated on scene and his injuries are not believed to be life-threatening.
A short time later, a Toyota Land Cruiser 4WD with bullet holes was located on Boundary Street, Kurri Kurri. It will be seized to undergo forensic examination.
Police have established a crime scene and are investigating the circumstances surrounding the incident.
Any witnesses or anyone with dashcam footage is urged to come forward.

Police vehicle hit, drugs seized after pursuit near Newcastle

Two police officers escaped serious injury after their stationary fully-marked vehicle was struck by a car being pursued near Newcastle.
Traffic & Highway Patrol Command officers were patrolling Nelson Bay Road, Bobs Farm, shortly before 12.50am yesterday (Sunday 15 September 2019), as part of Operation Northern Roads, when they saw a Toyota Corolla travelling in excess of the speed limit.
Police attempted to stop the vehicle; however, the driver of the vehicle failed to comply with directions and a pursuit was initiated.
The vehicle was followed through Williamtown and Tomago towards Hexham, where road spikes were successfully deployed north of the Hexham Bridge.
The vehicle continued across the bridge and hit the Newcastle Highway Patrol vehicle as the driver turned right onto the New England Highway.
Two officers sustained soft tissue injuries when the airbags activated.
The Corolla stopped nearby after driving into a chain-wire fence and three people were arrested.
They were taken to Raymond Terrace Police Station, where the driver was charged with:
• Police pursuit – not stop – drive at speed
• Drive recklessly/furiously or speed/manner dangerous
• Drive while licence cancelled
• Possess prohibited drug (Methamphetamine), and
• Not give particulars to other driver.
Police also executed four outstanding warrants relating to offences including assault, damage property, fraud, contravene AVO, reckless wounding and assault occasioning actual bodily harm.
The 19-year-old Cessnock man was refused bail to appear in Newcastle Local Court today (Monday 16 September 2019).
The officers were treated at the scene by NSW Ambulance paramedics.

Man charged following stand-off with police – Mayfield West

A man has been charged following an alleged stand-off with police near Newcastle yesterday.
Police were called to a unit building on Maitland Road, Mayfield West, about 12.45am (Friday 13 September 2019), after reports of a man damaging vehicles, climbing on the roof of the single-storey building, and then throwing tiles at vehicles below.
A police operation commenced coordinated by officers from Newcastle City Police District, with assistance from Police Rescue, Tactical Operations, the Dog Unit, and Police Negotiators.
About 9.40am, the man came down from the roof and was safely arrested and taken to Newcastle Police Station, before being taken to hospital for assessment.
A crime scene was established, and an investigation commenced into the circumstances surrounding the incident.
Upon release from hospital, the man was taken to Newcastle Police Station and charged with use offensive weapon to prevent lawful detention, malicious damage (x4), wilful and obscene exposure, intimidation, resist arrest, and breach bail.
He was refused bail to appear before Newcastle Bail Court today (Saturday 14 September 2019).

Police seek dash cam vision over serious crash at Hexham

Police are urging two motorists who may have witnessed a serious crash at Hexham last month to come forward.
Shortly after 10am on Friday 2 August 2019, emergency services were called to Maitland Road, Hexham following reports a Mack truck and a Honda motorcycle had collided.
The 21-year-old male motorcycle rider from Woodberry was airlifted by the Westpac Rescue Helicopter and taken to John Hunter Hospital with serious leg injuries. He has since been released from hospital.
The 54-year old male truck driver from Torryburn was uninjured and taken to hospital for mandatory testing.
The two motorists, one in car and another in a truck, were stopped at traffic lights on Maitland Road prior to the collision and are urged to come forward.
The Hexham Bridge was closed for three hours and one east bound lane on the Pacific Highway was closed for five hours while the scene was being examined.
As investigations continue by officers from the Hunter Crash Investigation Unit, anyone with information or dash cam vision is urged to come forward.