More than $365 million in new development has been lodged with the City of Newcastle during the past three months.
It’s a figure that’s seen the City of Newcastle set a new three-month record for investment in the city.
.jpg.aspx)
A new $160 million development by the Wests Group Australia is the latest example that confidence in the city centre is at an all-time high, with three other multi-million dollar projects also submitted for approval just in October.
The Wests Group’s development at 309 King Street includes two 14 storey mixed use buildings consisting of a 144 bed seniors aged care facility, 82 seniors independent living units and 166 general residential apartments, along with ground floor cafes, restaurants and a medical facility with underground parking for 286 cars.
The pedestrian laneway between the development and the existing Wests City building (NEX) would include a memorial to the 1989 Newcastle earthquake victims.
City of Newcastle Lord Mayor Nuatali Nelmes said the increase in investment was yet more evidence of the private sector’s confidence in the city.
“Newcastle is undergoing an unprecedented construction boom on the back of the our progressive, future-focussed vision for the City.
“The latest influx of investment is particularly exciting as it involves formerly underutilised sites now earmarked for development.
“These plans will drive our local economy and contribute to the vibrancy of our community for decades to come.”
Last week a development application from Iris Capital to convert the former David Jones building on Hunter Street to a hotel was also lodged.
“In addition to the $18 million restoration of the former David Jones building to a hotel, work will officially start Monday on the conversion of the Roundhouse into the city’s first five-star hotel in a development estimated at $24 million,” Cr Nelmes said.
“Newcastle’s transformation is truly underway. It’s fantastic that our city centre will soon be home to two five-star hotels.
“Our city has seen a 60 per cent increase in visitor numbers and expenditure in the past five years which again positions Newcastle as a destination city that continues to grow and improve.”
Century Venues have also proposed a $11.5 million restoration of Newcastle’s iconic Victoria Theatre, immediately opposite Iris Capital’s proposed five-star hotel and roof top bar.
The 2018 calendar year was a record year for City of Newcastle, as the total value of building approvals topped $1.2 billion with the 2019 year on track to rival this figure.

Category: Newcastle News
All the news happening in the Newcastle and Hunter Region
87-year-old man dies four weeks after being hit by van – Charlestown
A man has died in hospital after being hit by a van at a shopping centre in Charlestown four weeks ago.
Emergency services were called to level two of the shopping centre on Frederick Street after an 87-year-old man and an 80-year-old woman were struck by the van about 11am Thursday 3 October 2019.
The man sustained multiple critical injuries and has been undergoing treatment ever since; however, officers from Lake Macquarie Police District have now been told the man died yesterday (Friday 1 November 2019), in hospital.
The injured woman was treated on the day for a head injury and allowed to go home.
The van driver, a 70-year-old woman from Hamilton South, was not injured and underwent mandatory testing.
Inquiries are continuing by Lake Macquarie PD.
Ocean baths up for redevelopment
City of Newcastle is inviting expressions of interest to redevelop the iconic Newcastle and Merewether Ocean Baths pavilions in overhauls that could include restaurants, recreational and community facilities and other services.
Newcastle Ocean Bath’s iconic art deco exterior is proposed to be retained in any redevelopment, while new public change rooms, disabled access, car parking, new seating, shading and other community facilities will be mandatory inclusions at both sites.
.jpg.aspx)
As well as reinvigorating the baths precincts, the final outcomes will promote access to the Bathers Way, preserve views from lifeguard/first aid rooms and provide swimmers year-round protection from prevailing winds.
“Redevelopment of Newcastle and Merewether Ocean Baths pavilions is an exciting opportunity to rejuvenate and enhance public assets by capitalising on Newcastle’s unprecedented growth in a long-term partnership with the City,” Lord Mayor Nuatali Nelmes said.
“I’m looking forward to seeing proposals. One condition that we have placed on the EOI is that the baths must always remain free public assets.
“The City is committed to improving public and community spaces along our coastline, and a commercial partnership could allow us to significantly enhance and manage these precious facilities in a financially responsible way.”
Artist’s impression of what the baths could look like.
Some 5,800sqm of space is on offer at the 1922-bulit Newcastle Ocean Baths and 2,200sqm at the Merewether pavilion, under leases of up to 21 years.
City of Newcastle Infrastructure Director Ken Liddell said councillors had made it clear they considered the ocean baths the No.1 infrastructure priority.
“In February the Councillors came together for a two-day strategic planning workshop where they nominated the restoration of the Newcastle Ocean Baths as the single most important infrastructure project for the city,” he said.
“Our staff have spent the past six months developing the EOI, as well as resolving a number of potential issues that exist because the Baths sit on crown land.
“All issues have been resolved and we are now able to take the projects to the market. Potential uses under zoning regulations for both baths include restaurants, cafes or kiosks, community facilities, and educational facilities or other recreation purposes.
“The EOI will be followed by a tender process for shortlisted respondents before a lease is signed with the City, which is the Reserve Trust Manager of both buildings for the Crown Lands Division of the NSW Government.
“Any redevelopment of these buildings will be subject to DA determination and the successful lessee(s) will be required to provide some facilities managed by the City, so it can continue to provide lifeguard and pool-cleaning services plus community spaces.
“Parties interested in these redevelopments will have to outline their proposed partnership or joint- venture arrangements, concept plans and previous experience with developments of similar scope and scale.
“Proponents will have to comply with heritage controls as the Newcastle Ocean Baths are listed as a local heritage item in the Newcastle Local Environmental Plan 2012 and located within the Newcastle East Heritage Conservation Area.”
Expressions of Interest can be made via https://www.tenderlink.com/newcastle/ and close on Tuesday 17 December at 2pm.
Two arrested for drug and weapons offences – Singleton Heights
A man and a woman have been arrested in relation to drug and weapons offences in the state’s Hunter region.
Officers attached to Hunter Valley Police District and Rural Crime investigators established Strike Force Axels to investigate property theft in the Upper Hunter.
Following extensive inquiries, about 7am today (Friday 1 November 2019), Hunter Valley PD officers with the assistance of Strike Force Raptor North executed search warrants at two properties on Madden Parade and Wentworth Avenue, Singleton Heights.
During the searches, police allegedly located and seized methylamphetamine, steroids, cannabis and a taser.
A 36-year-old man was arrested and taken to Cessnock Police Station. He was charged with three drug offences and refused bail to face Cessnock Local Court today (Friday 1 November 2019).
A 57-year-old woman was arrested and taken to Singleton Police Station. She is expected to be charged later today.
Investigations under Strike Force Axels are ongoing.
Man charged after letter box destroyed by explosives – Hamilton North
Just before 5am (Tuesday 15 October 2019), police attended Boreas Road, Hamilton North, following reports of an explosion heard in the area.
Police canvassed the area and located a damaged letterbox.
No one was injured, and no other property was damaged.
Following extensive investigations, officers attached to Newcastle City Police District executed a number of search warrants at various residences and commercial properties.
The officers allegedly seized a number of firearms, prohibited weapons and various items used to manufacture and use explosive devices.
Further inquiries led officers to a location on Macquarie Street, Belmont where a 35-year-old man and a 19-year-old woman were arrested.
They were both taken to Belmont Police Station.
The man was charged with possession of multiple firearms, replica firearm, prohibited weapons and malicious damage by explosion.
He was refused bail to appear at Newcastle Local Court tomorrow Saturday 2 November 2019.
The woman was released pending further investigations.
Time to nominate the passionate, inspirational and courageous
Jill Emberson counts being named 2019 Newcastle’s Citizen of the year as one of her greatest achievements and said it’s something she never imagined would happen in her life.
“To get an accolade like this gives me a spring in my step and makes my days here happier. There is a pride and joy that it has given me,” she said when reflecting on the honour.
.jpg.aspx)
Jill was recognised for her contribution to journalism and advocacy in the fight against Ovarian Cancer, a disease she has lived with since 2016. In the lead up to and after receiving her prestigious award Jill has shown she truly embodies the very spirit of the Citizen of the Year Award.
As unique and outstanding as Jill is, Newcastle is fortunate to be home to many other likeminded courageous, passionate and inspirational citizens who strive to improve the lives of others and make our community a better place.
City of Newcastle Lord Mayor Nuatali Nelmes said now is the time to put their names forward for recognition.
“Nominations are open for Newcastle’s 2020 Citizen of the Year Awards, Young Citizen of the Year and Community Group of the Year which will be presented on Australia Day,” the Lord Mayor said.
“Recipients don’t necessarily need to be high profile individuals. We’re looking for people who are motivated and passionate about improving the lives of others and are role models in our community.”
“Nominating someone is simple, so we want to see as many worthy people as possible nominated and considered for these annual awards.” Previous winners include, Mark Hughes, whose Foundation has raised more than $1.75 million for brain cancer research, Newcastle refugee advocate Sister Diana Santleben and legendary wheelchair athlete Kurt Fearnley.
Junior John Hunter Hospital doctor Bhavi Ravindran was named 2019 Young Citizen of the Year while Luisa Amosa, Charlotte Boulus and Mae Anagnostis were recognised for starting The Y Project, which hosts safe space events for young people, and raises awareness about social justice and environmental issues.
Nominees must be residents of the Newcastle local government area, except for Community Group of the Year which can be from outside the LGA in exceptional circumstances.
They must also be Australian citizens and must be turning at least 16 years of age in 2019.
Hard-copy nomination forms can be downloaded from City of Newcastle’s website and can also be completed and lodged online. A panel of judges will consider each nomination on its merits, with the awards presented at a ceremony on Australia Day, 2020. Nominations close on Sunday 8 December.
Pair charged over alleged importation of MDMA – Hunter region
A man and a woman will face court today charged with allegedly importing MDMA into the Hunter region.
In September 2019, an international package was intercepted which allegedly contained 500gm of 3,4-methylenedioxy-N-benzylcathinone, commonly known as MDMA.
Detectives from Port Stephens-Hunter Police District then commenced an investigation into the importation and supply of MDMA in the area.
Following extensive inquiries, yesterday (Wednesday 30 October 2019), a search warrant was executed at a home on Tarrango Street, Cliftleigh where a 32-year-old woman was arrested.
Later that day, a 30-year-old man returned to the home and he was subsequently arrested.
Both were taken to Maitland Police Station and charged with attempt possess commercial quantities of unlawfully imported border controlled drug and supply prohibited drug.
They were refused bail to face Maitland Local Court today (Thursday 31 October 2019).
Plenty to enjoy in Newcastle this Supercars weekend
Families will be able to enjoy free activities including circus workshops in Civic Park and pushcart races in Hunter Street Mall over the Supercars Newcastle 500 weekend as activity from the race precinct spreads across the city.
City of Newcastle today launched ‘Enjoy Newcastle’, a program of events and activities to create a festival atmosphere in the city centre over the Newcastle 500 event.

Lord Mayor Nuatali Nelmes said the 2019 Supercars finale is set to bring thousands of visitors to Newcastle, giving us the perfect opportunity to share all that we enjoy about our growing destination city.
“Now in its third year, the Newcastle 500 has firmly cemented its place as the city’s most anticipated sporting event,” the Lord Mayor said.
“The inaugural race in 2017 attracted a crowd of more than 190,000, with visitors spending over $12.5 million in the region. In 2018, Newcastle Airport announced a record number of passengers arriving on the first day of the event and Supercars set a record-breaking year in viewing audiences across television and digital platforms for the Newcastle 500.
“As thousands of event goers arrive for this year’s big race weekend, we’re poised to show-off our spectacular natural coastline and fabulous eateries. There will be plenty of fun for the family with opportunities for visitors and locals to soak up the atmosphere on and off the racetrack.
“Enjoy Newcastle will kick off on Thursday 21 November at Civic Park, with all 26 Supercars drivers on hand for a signing event, and a live broadcast of “Trackside” on Fox Sports.
“Over the weekend, Hunter Street Mall, next to the race precinct, will be abuzz with billy cart challenges, pop-up shops, family-friendly activities and live entertainment. It’s all free, action-packed fun. This is a great opportunity for locals to see what’s on offer in the Mall and for event goers to step outside the precinct and get a taste of local life.
“The entertainment will continue at Civic Park throughout the weekend with a super-sized Newcastle-themed monopoly board, monster truck slide, jumping castles, obstacle course and an auto-race simulator. There’s also a dedicated under-six play area and an adrenalin-rush obstacle course suited to both big kids and adults.
“Enjoy the race on Saturday and then make your way to Newcastle West to see international superstars KISS at No.1 Sportsground. Local rockers The Screaming Jets, led by original front man Dave Gleeson, will be special guests.
“Enjoy Newcastle is just one way the City will help businesses take advantage of the influx of visitors here to attend the Newcastle 500.
“It’s about highlighting all the great things to do in our city and encouraging visitors to venture beyond the race precinct to discover more of our City.”
Super-duper Karts is the brainchild of local business owner Lucy Glover. Over the weekend Lucy and other mall traders will deliver a fantastic range of free activities in the mall for the whole family while raising money for local charities.
“We want to showcase what Hunter Street Mall and our businesses have to offer by bringing the place alive and community together. I’m excited to watch the Super-duper Karts – Pushcart Challenge head-to-head races and take part to see if I can win any of the ‘Mall Money’ prizes,” Lucy said.
The Enjoy Newcastle line up includes:
Super Signing Session – free
Thursday 21 November
From 4.30pm in Civic Park
Meet all 26 Newcastle 500 Supercar champions and get their autograph. Plus watch a live broadcast of “Trackside” as it goes to air on Fox Sports.
Superkids Pitstop – free
Saturday and Sunday
From 10am – 4pm in Civic Park
Play Newcastle’s version of Monopoly on an oversized board. Kids can also enjoy a monster truck slide, obstacle course, circus workshops and there’s a dedicated under 6 zone.
Super-duper Karts
Saturday and Sunday
Hunter Street Mall
Take a spin down the Mall in the pushcart challenge for a shot at some great prizes. Live entertainment, pop-up shops, and delicious local food.
KISS
Saturday
From 5.30pm at No. 1 Sportsground
Enjoy the race on Saturday and rock and roll all night. Don’t miss global superstars KISS and hometown heroes The Screaming Jets at the Newcastle 500 concert.
Delays expected on M1 following heavy vehicle crash – Central Coast
Emergency services are currently at the scene of a truck crash on the M1 on the Central Coast this morning.
About 2.10am (Wednesday 30 October 2019), a B-Double was travelling through a roadworks zone heading north on the M1 at Halloran, just past the Sparks Road overpass, when it crashed into three work trucks that were stopped at the location.
The B-double has caught alight, the fire quickly spreading to the three heavy vehicles involved in the crash.
Fortunately, there are no reports of injuries.
The northbound lanes of the M1 at Halloran will remain closed for some time as the fire is extinguished and inquiries into the cause of the crash continue.
Motorists are advised to visit www.livetraffic.com for the latest traffic information.
Youth charged with Skys Law following police pursuit – Hunter Valley
A 17-year-old youth has been charged after a police pursuit in the Hunter Valley yesterday.
Police will be alleging in court that the young person was seen driving a PT Chrysler Cruiser through the Hunter Economic Zone, Pelaw Main, about 6.15pm (Wednesday 30 October 2019) at excessive speed.
Police attempted to stop the vehicle, however, the driver failed to comply, and a pursuit was initiated.
The vehicle continued onto Hospital Road, Kurri Kurri before tuning left onto a dirt track where it was met with dense bushland.
The vehicle quickly reversed and crashed into two police vehicles – causing minor damage – before it sped away.
The pursuit was terminated, and a description of the vehicle was broadcast via police radio.
The Cruiser was found soon after in Hebburn Road, Pelaw Main and officers called for the vehicle to be seized.
While waiting for a tow truck, the 17-year-old alleged driver returned to the scene with a support person and spoke with police.
He was arrested and taken to Cessnock Police Station where he was charged with Skys Law and drive manner dangerously.
He was granted conditional bail and will appear in Kurri Kurri Local Court on Tuesday 26 November 2019.
