Taser and cash seized; man charged – Newcastle

A man will appear in court today after police located drugs and more than $80,000 cash in Newcastle.
In November 2019, officers attached to Newcastle City Police District commenced Strike Force Chufa to investigate the supply of methylamphetamine in the Newcastle area.
Following extensive inquiries, police attended an apartment on King Street, Newcastle, where they spoke with a 39-year-old man.
During a subsequent search of his motor vehicle, police seized a small quantity of methylamphetamine, an electrical stun device similar to a taser, and more than $80,000 in cash.
He was arrested and taken to Newcastle Police Station, where he was charged with:

  • Supply prohibited drug (22 counts)
  • Supply commercial quantity prohibited drug
  • Deal in proceeds of crime
  • Possess prohibited weapon

He was refused bail to face Newcastle Local Court today (Wednesday 12 February 2020).

Newcastle community helps form picture of City’s future

How do we maintain green spaces, buildings with character, access to transport and shops and a sense of community over the next 20 years with an additional 35,000 residents?
This is the question dealt with through the City of Newcastle’s draft Local Strategic Planning Statement (LSPS), a legislated plan outlining the vision for land use along with the character and values of our growing city.
Newcastle-(1).jpgLord Mayor Nuatali Nelmes said the draft LSPS had been developed on the back of a comprehensive community engagement program and is now on public exhibition for feedback.
“City of Newcastle’s Local Strategic Planning Statement will shape our land-use planning priorities to meet community needs and will set out how we should manage greenfield sites, community land and potential development areas over the next two decades,” the Lord Mayor said.
“The opinions and wishes of our residents are essential to the City’s planning process.
“Surveys, face-to-face drop-in sessions and a young person’s drawing activity were just some of the ways we gathered feedback on how to best shape the way our City will look and feel in 2040.
“Over 500 people participated in a survey which canvassed our community’s vision for land-use and neighbourhood character with questions relating to transport, environment, housing and jobs.
“In 20 years the picture of our city will look much different, with 19,500 new dwellings and 35,000 additional residents projected for Newcastle.
“It’s fantastic that the largest demographic to engage with us on this draft plan was the 16-19-year age group, ensuring the desires of our future ratepayers are reflected in our vision and plans for the future.
“The ‘Big Picture’ Newcastle 2040 drawing activity provided primary school aged young people an opportunity to offer ideas on what they love about their City, how improvements can be made and what needs to be maintained to ensure the City of Newcastle remains an incredible place to live.
“Our residents value a sense of community and opportunities for people to connect and
engage in their streets and neighbourhoods, as well as special places centred on our natural environment and open space.
“It’s now time for the broader community to have their say on how Newcastle should look in 2040 by reviewing the draft Local Strategic Planning Statement before it’s finalised and put to Council for endorsement.”
The Local Strategic Planning Statement is on public exhibition until Monday, 9 March. To view or make a submission, visit www.newcastle.nsw.gov.au/Have-Your-Say/Projects/Planning-Newcastle-2040

Former accountant charged after allegedly defrauding client of $200,000 – Lake Macquarie

A woman will face court next month after allegedly defrauding a Lake Macquarie business of more than $200,000 over a five-year period.
In June 2019, officers attached to Lake Macquarie Police District commenced an investigation into anomalies concerning the administration of a Lake Macquarie business’ account allegedly controlled by an accountant.
Following extensive inquiries, yesterday (Sunday 9 February 2020), police attended a home at Cameron Park, and arrested a 50-year-old woman.
She was taken to Toronto Police Station where she was charged with three counts of dishonestly obtain financial advantage by deception and one count of destroy/conceal accounting record to obtain financial advantage.
Police will allege the woman – who was an accountant at a firm at the time – transferred $201,000 into several personal accounts between 2011 and 2016.
She was granted conditional bail to face Toronto Local Court on Tuesday 10 March 2020.
Investigations are ongoing.

Precautionary action taken ahead of hazardous conditions

City of Newcastle is taking precautionary actions ahead of predicted large ocean swells and high tides with heavy rainfall predicted for Saturday and Sunday (7 and 8 February 2020).
The east coast low like conditions and a predicted 2-metre high tide on Sunday 9 February increases the likelihood of erosion at Stockton Beach, and potentially create dangerous conditions for coastal activities, increase potential for localised flooding and risk of fallen trees.
StocktonBeach.jpgCity of Newcastle will be undertaking proactive reinforcement of the sand-bag wall at north Stockton near Griffith Street and Stone Street using additional one-tonne sandbags.
The following traffic and pedestrian arrangements will be in place for Stockton from Friday 7 February to facilitate these works:

  • Barrie Crescent in Stockton will be open for one-way traffic only
  • No parking zones will be established in Barrie Crescent Stockton

The Stockton Beach accessways along the Mitchell Street seawall and the northern access at Stone Street will be closed and the accessways at the Stockton Surf Life Saving Club and near Lexie’s Café will be monitored and may be closed subject to conditions.
Other locations across Newcastle that may be affected by hazardous conditions include:

  • Shortland Esplanade and promenades along City beaches, including the Newcastle and Merewether Ocean Baths
  • All beaches in the Newcastle Local Government Area (LGA)
  • Low-lying roads
  • Local roads across the Newcastle LGA.

In addition, the City has also made the decision to close all of its sportsgrounds for competition games and training. Sportsgrounds will be reassessed on Monday and a further update will be provided regarding their suitability for use.
City of Newcastle requests all residents and visitors to be aware of changing conditions and potential road closures and follow directional signage, warnings notices and instructions of City of Newcastle staff and other authorities.
Please stay safe when moving in and around the City in the predicted weather event.
To stay up to date on the most current weather warnings, please follow the Bureau of Meteorology http://www.bom.gov.au/
For emergency advice contact State Emergency Service www.ses.nsw.gov.au Phone 132 500

Man charged after copper cable stolen at Newcastle

A man will face court today over the alleged ongoing theft of copper cable in Newcastle.
In January 2020, officers attached to Newcastle City Target Action Group commenced an investigation into the alleged theft of a large amount of copper cabling from an area of the Port of Newcastle.
Following extensive inquiries, police executed a search warrant at a home on Tully Street, Carrington, and arrested a 45-year-old man about 2.30pm yesterday (Thursday 6 February 2020).
Police will allege the man broke into a storage area located at the Port of Newcastle on Thursday 30 January, Saturday 1 February, Tuesday 4 February and Wednesday 5 February, removed a large amount of copper cabling and damaged equipment.
The 45-year-old man was taken to Newcastle Police Station and charged with:

  • Aggravated break and enter dwelling etc in company steal less than $60,000
  • Break and enter house etc steal value less than $60,000 (x3)
  • Drive motor vehicle during disqualification period
  • Deal with property proceeds of crime less than $100,000

He was refused bail to face Newcastle Local Court today (Friday 7 February 2020).
Investigations are ongoing.

Police investigate reported child approach – Scone

Police are appealing for the public’s help to locate a man as they investigate an alleged child approach at Scone yesterday.
About 8.40am (Thursday 6 February 2020), police have been told that a 10-year-old boy was riding his bicycle eastbound on Liverpool Street, Scone, on his way to school when a man sitting on the side of the footpath has spoken to the child for a short time.
The boy left shortly after and rode to school and reported the incident to a teacher.
Officers attached to Hunter Valley Police District were notified later in the afternoon and commenced an investigation.
As inquiries continue, investigators would like to speak to a man who may be able to assist.
He’s described as being of Caucasian appearance, about 70-years-old and with brown eyes. He was last seen wearing a blue and white cap, a t-shirt, shorts and thongs.
Police are appealing for any witnesses or anyone who may have dashcam or CCTV footage from the nearby area to contact Scone Police on 02 6544 0199 or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Two charged over alleged fraud offences – Newcastle

Two people have been charged with alleged fraud offences in the Newcastle area.
About 7.20am yesterday (Wednesday 5 February 2020), officers attached to Newcastle City Police District executed a search warrant at a home on Watkins Street, Merewether, where they spoke with a 27-year-old woman.
During the search warrant, police allegedly located and seized a large quantity of property believed to be stolen, including credit cards, driver’s licences, jewellery, and medication.
The 27-year-old woman was arrested and taken to Waratah Police Station.
Following further inquiries, police attended a home on Callen Street, Stockton, and arrested a 24-year-old man.
He was taken to Waratah Police Station and charged with six counts of dishonestly obtain property by deception, and one count each of larceny and destroy/damage property. He was refused bail to face Newcastle Local Court yesterday (Wednesday 5 February 2020), where he was granted conditional bail to face the same court on Thursday 13 February 2020.
The woman was charged with two counts of larceny. She was refused bail to face Newcastle Local Court yesterday (Wednesday 5 January 2020), where she was again refused bail to face the same court on Thursday 12 March 2020.

Distressed surfer rescued – Lake Macquarie

A surfer has been rescued after getting into trouble at a Lake Macquarie beach tonight.
About 6pm (Tuesday 4 February 2020), two 17-year-old boys went surfing at Redhead Beach, Redhead, and were separated in the large swell.
One of the teens returned to shore, while the second was heard by witnesses calling for help after losing his surfboard and being swept to sea.
Emergency Services were notified about 6.20pm and officers from Lake Macquarie Police District, along with NSW Ambulance paramedics and the Westpac Rescue Helicopter attended. Surf Lifesavers were also recalled.
The teen was located floating about 100m from shore and winched aboard the helicopter.
He was returned to the Redhead Beach carpark and treated by paramedics for exhaustion before being taken to John Hunter Hospital as a precaution.
“Had it not been for the swift response of emergency services, we could have had an extremely tragic event here today,” said Inspector Cheryl Day from Lake Macquarie Police District.

Third man charged after public place shooting – Cessnock

A third man has been charged following an investigation into a public place shooting in the Hunter Valley last month.
About 3am on Wednesday 29 January 2020, police were called to Mills Crescent, Cessnock, following reports of shots fired.
A short time later, officers attached to Hunter Valley Police District stopped a Holden Commodore sedan on Doyle Street, Cessnock.
Four men got out of the vehicle, with two allegedly fleeing.
The two remaining men were arrested and taken to Cessnock Police Station before later being released, pending further inquiries.
Following inquiries, two men – aged 27 and 21 – were charged last week and remain before the courts.
Following further inquiries, a 23-year-old man was arrested at a Gorokan home by officers attached to Strike Force Raptor North about 3.40pm yesterday (Tuesday 4 February 2020).
He was taken to Wyong Police Station and charged with fire firearm at dwelling-house with disregard for safety, fire firearm manner likely injure persons/property, possess loaded firearm public place, and destroy or damage property.
The man has been refused bail to appear at Wyong local Court today (Wednesday 5 February 2020).

Police Transport Command officers arrest man for property offences – Newcastle

Officers attached to the Newcastle Police Transport Command have arrested a man following an investigation into the alleged theft of power tools in the Newcastle area.
On Wednesday 22 January 2020, police commenced an investigation into property offences after a man was located and charged on Glebe Street, The Junction.
Police allege the 50-year-old man was in possession of a bicycle that was identified as being stolen from a break and enter in Lawson Street, Hamilton.
He was issued a Field Court Attendance Notice for goods in custody.
Following forensic analysis of the scene of a separate break and enter on Friday 17 January 2020 in Frederick Street, Merewether, police will allege the same 50-year-old man was involved in both incidents.
About 8am today (Tuesday 4 February 2020), police searched a unit in Patrick Street, Merewether and allegedly located power tools and other items also believed to be stolen from the break and enter in Merewether in January.
A short time later, police arrested the 50-year-old man at a building site on Ring Road, Newcastle.
He was taken to Newcastle Police Station and charged with break, enter and steal, goods in custody, dispose of stolen property (x2), and make false statement tom pawnbroker (x3).
He was refused bail and is expected to appear in Newcastle Local Court tomorrow (Wednesday 5 February 2020).