A man wanted on five outstanding warrants has been arrested by police following a vehicle stop near Muswellbrook.
An extensive police operation was conducted in the Nundle area yesterday (Wednesday 20 May 2020), involving officers from Hunter Valley Police District, Oxley Police District, and other specialist commands.
Just after 6.30pm, a 34-year-old man was arrested following a vehicle stop on the New England Highway at Muswellbrook.
He was taken to Muswellbrook Police Station before being transferred to Muswellbrook and Maitland Hospitals.
Upon his release from hospital, he was conveyed back to Muswellbrook Police Station.
The man has been charged with five outstanding warrants relating to traffic, property, judicial and revocation of parole offences.
He was also charged with three counts of assault occasioning actual bodily harm (DV), two counts of common assault (DV) and one count of intentionally or recklessly destroy/damage property (DV related).
The Muswellbrook man was refused bail to appear at Newcastle Local Court tomorrow (Friday 22 May 2020).
Inquiries are continuing.
Category: Newcastle News
All the news happening in the Newcastle and Hunter Region
Third man charged following fatal fight at Hamilton South last year
A third man has been charged as part of an ongoing investigation into the death of another man at Newcastle last year.
About 3.30am on Friday 8 March 2019, police were called to Donald Street, Hamilton, following reports of men fighting in the street.
When police arrived, they were told the men had left the area.
A short time later, officers were called to a unit on Coady Street, Hamilton South, where they found the body of a 51-year-old man, and a 23-year-old man unconscious, suffering head injuries.
The injured man was treated at the scene by paramedics before he was taken to John Hunter Hospital in a serious but stable condition.
Officers from Newcastle City Police District commenced inquiries into the incident under Strike Force Delline.
So far during the investigation, two men – aged 25 and 26 – have been charged and remain before the courts.
Following further inquiries, a 32-year-old man was arrested at a unit at Hamilton South about 4.20pm yesterday (Wednesday 20 May 2020).
The man was taken to Newcastle Police Station and charged with take/detain in company with intent to get advantage occasion actual bodily harm.
He was refused bail to appear at Newcastle Local Court today (Thursday 21 May 2020).
Inquiries under Strike Force Delline are continuing.
Electric vehicle chargers installed portside
City of Newcastle has teamed up with Port of Newcastle to deliver a new electric vehicle charging station on Wharf Road to add to the city’s growing network.
Two new 22-kilowatt chargers in the carpark next to Harry’s Café de Wheels follow three others installed by the City outside No.2 Sportsground and another smaller charging station on Laman St, Cooks Hill, last year.
Thanks to City of Newcastle’s 100 per cent renewable electricity contract, motorists can now power up using renewable energy from four parking bays either side of the two new chargers.
Newcastle Lord Mayor Nuatali Nelmes said Novocastrians were increasingly embracing sustainable transport and that the new installation had been strategically located.
Newcastle Deputy Lord Mayor with Port of Newcastle’s Simon Byrnes at today’s opening.
“This third charging hub is part of readying Newcastle for a future in which Australians dramatically reduce their transport emissions by driving renewable energy-powered EVs,” Councillor Nelmes said.
“There are now 19 different EV models available in Australia with a typical range of 480km, and we’re seeing more and more on local streets.
“We’ve located this facility close to inner-city businesses and tourist attractions in the hope that, like chargers installed in Wallsend’s town centre, they draw motorists from the M1 Motorway.
“We are delighted to partner with the Port of Newcastle in leading this transition to more sustainable transport, which we outlined in our own 2017 Smart City Strategy.”
The new chargers will initially be free before user-pay fees are later introduced.
Port of Newcastle Chief Commercial Officer Simon Byrnes said partnerships were critical to achieving the Port’s diversification and sustainability goals.
“It is a pleasure to partner with the City of Newcastle to help expand its electric vehicle charging network and promote renewable energy and sustainable transport options in the region,” Mr Byrnes said.
“Today I am excited to unveil the first four electric vehicles in our Port of Newcastle fleet. We expect to complete the transition to an electric fleet by the end of 2021, saving more than 48 tonnes of carbon emissions annually.
One of four new Port of Newcastle electric vehicles.
“Port of Newcastle is serious about its commitment to the environment and creating a prosperous future for the communities it supports. Ultimately, we are striving to create a safe, sustainable and socially responsible Port for the future.”
Australian sales of fully electric and plug-in hybrid cars more than tripled in 2019 to 6,718 units, according to the Electric Vehicle Council, as sales of petrol and diesel vehicles fell eight per cent.
NSW is now well covered with around 300 public charging stations, which the City will add to with another site in Cooks Hill’s Queen Street carpark later in 2020.
Last year a 50-kilowatt fast charger and two 22-kilowatt chargers were installed at No.2 Sportsground.
One of the No.2 Sportsground chargers.
The fast charger can charge an average vehicle to around 80 per cent capacity in 30-40 minutes, while the smaller chargers take around two hours.
“Our EV charger network has now recorded 1,000 charging sessions, 800 hours of charging time and 15,000-kilowatt hours of 100 per cent renewable energy,” the Lord Mayor said.
The roll out of EV infrastructure is part of the $13 million Smart Moves Newcastle project, which received $5 million under the Federal Government’s Smart Cities and Suburbs program in 2017.
The City has also begun transitioning its fleet with the purchase of electric vehicles and investigations into electric waste trucks.
Missing Lake Macquarie man found
A man reported missing from the Lake Macquarie area has been found safe and well.
The 72-year-old was last seen about 1.30pm yesterday (Monday 18 May 2020), in Garden Suburb.
Following extensive inquiries, the man was found at about 6.50am today (Tuesday 19 May 2020), at New Lambton.
Police would like to thank the community and media for their assistance.
Man in court after allegedly biting officer – Maitland
A man will appear in court today after allegedly biting a police officer near Maitland yesterday.
About 3.45pm (Tuesday 19 May 2020), officers attached to Port Stephens-Hunter Police District stopped a man on Thursby Street, Tenambit, and observed him holding something in the front of his jumper.
When police asked him to show them what he was holding, the man was observed placing a small plastic bag into his mouth before chewing it, swallowing it and attempting to leave the scene.
The 38-year-old man was arrested when he allegedly became violent, resisting police and biting one Senior Constable on his right arm.
The man was taken to Maitland Police Station and charged with resist or hinder police officer in the execution of duty, two counts of resist officer in execution of duty, assault police officer in execution of duty cause actual bodily harm, and rider not wear approved bicycle helmet/fitted/fastened.
He was refused bail to appear at Newcastle Local Court today (Wednesday 20 May 2020).
The Senior Constable was taken to Maitland Hospital for treatment.
2020 Newcastle Volunteer Service Awards
Nominations have now opened for the 2020 Newcastle Volunteer Service Awards and Novocastrians are encouraged to nominate a special volunteer for recognition.
Federal Member for Newcastle Sharon Claydon, who delivers the awards, said volunteers had made a huge difference to the Newcastle community during the coronavirus crisis.
“Despite the many challenges the COVID-19 pandemic has thrown at us, I have been incredibly heartened by the surge in community volunteering efforts to ensure that no one in Newcastle is left feeling isolated and alone,” Ms Claydon said.
“The spontaneous creation of neighbourhood groups and the overnight transformation of local cafes into community kitchens and corner stores has been life-saving for many. Novocastrians demonstrated that, when the going gets really tough, we come together to support each other.”
Ms Claydon said that nominating an exceptional volunteer only takes ten minutes.
“If you want to nominate a volunteer for recognition just visit www.sharonclaydon.com/volunteerawards2020 and follow the link to the online nomination form.
“Nominations close on Friday 7 August 2020.”
Ms Claydon said that the nominated volunteers would be recognised at a special awards event.
“Volunteers are the lifeblood of our community, but too often they don’t get the recognition they deserve,” Ms Claydon said.
“As always, at the end of the selection process, I will host a presentation ceremony to celebrate the incredible contribution of these dedicated volunteers to our community. While the final shape of this ceremony will necessarily be determined by the health orders of the day, all Award recipients, and those that nominated them, will be invited to participate.”
Police appeal to locate 72-year-old man missing from Garden Suburb
Police are appealing for community assistance to locate a man missing from the Lake Macquarie Police District.
John Gregory O’Neill, who goes by the name of Greg, is aged 72, and was last seen leaving his house in Prospect Road in Garden Suburb about 1.30pm today (Monday 18 May 2020).
Mr O’Neill is described as being Caucasian appearance, about 165cm tall with a medium build. He is clean shaven and has grey hair.
He was last seen wearing a navy-blue wind-breaker jacket, dark brown pants, a dark coloured baseball cap and believed to be carrying a grey gold umbrella.
He was reported missing to officers from Lake Macquarie Police District after he failed to return home and a search has commenced.
Police and family hold serious concerns for Greg’s welfare as this is totally out of character.
Anyone who sights Greg or has information about his whereabouts, are urged to immediately contact Belmont Police Station on (02) 49228899 or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
Police investigate suspicious death of seven-month-old baby – Hunter region
Police are investigating the suspicious death of a baby in the state’s Hunter region.
Just after 3pm yesterday (Sunday 17 May 2020), a seven-month-old boy was taken to Muswellbrook Hospital in an unresponsive state.
Despite the efforts of hospital staff, the baby was unable to be revived.
Officers from Hunter Valley Police District were notified and commenced an investigation.
A crime scene was established at a home in the Hunter region and examined by specialist forensic officers.
A post-mortem examination will be conducted to establish the cause of death; however, it is being treated as suspicious.
No further information is available at this time.
Statement on 2020 Newcastle 500
City of Newcastle acknowledges that the 2020 Newcastle 500 will not form part of the revised 2020 Supercars Australia Championship series following the impact of COVID-19.
“The Newcastle 500 is the largest event on the local calendar. The loss of this event in December 2020 and the tens of thousands of overnight bookings, is devastating for accommodation and hospitality providers, who are already under financial pressure from measures required to stop the spread of COVID 19,” Newcastle Lord Mayor Nuatali Nelmes said.
“Hunter Research Foundation found the Newcastle 500 generates $30.1 million annually for the Newcastle economy alone. The $30.1 million benefit of the event would be far higher if the direct economic benefit in neighbouring areas including Port Stephens, Lake Macquarie, Maitland and Cessnock were included.
“As the finale of the Supercars Australia Championship series, the Newcastle 500 brings widespread exposure for our city. This 2019 event weekend recorded 344 media stories from Friday 22 to Sunday 24 November, reaching a combined domestic audience of more than 14 million people, with an estimated value of over $2 million.
“According to Supercars Australia the TV audience for Newcastle 500 peaked at more than 1.8 million viewers with an average of 1.3 million people viewing the three-day event.
“We look forward to the return of Supercars to Newcastle.”
Man charged after allegedly choking child near Maitland
A man will appear in court today after allegedly choking a child in a domestic-related incident in the state’s Hunter region.
About 2pm yesterday (Saturday 16 May 2020), a 27-year-old man was at a house in Rutherford, about 7km north-west of Maitland, when he allegedly became involved in an argument with a 44-year-old woman and became aggressive.
Police will allege in court that he turned and grabbed a five-year-old boy by the throat with both hands and lifted him off the ground, before letting him go onto a lounge.
The man left the house and the incident was reported to officers from Port Stephens-Hunter Police District, who commenced an investigation.
Following inquiries, officers from Sydney City Police Area Command arrested the man at a hotel on Castlereagh Street, Haymarket, about 9.45pm.
He was taken to Surry Hills Police Station and charged with intentionally choke person without consent (DV).
The man was refused bail to appear before Parramatta Bail Court today (Sunday 17 May 2020).
