A man reported missing from Port Stephens has been located safe and well.
The 45-year-old man was reported missing to Port Stephens-Hunter Police District after leaving the Fingal Spit area about 5pm on Tuesday (26 May 2020).
Following inquiries, the man was located at Salamander Bay about 2pm today (Thursday 28 May 2020).
Police would like to thank the media and community for their assistance.
Category: Newcastle News
All the news happening in the Newcastle and Hunter Region
City of Newcastle tackles COVID-19 unemployment through action and advocacy
Youth unemployment has been identified as a focus area for the COVID-19 City Taskforce.
The Taskforce was formed by City of Newcastle and consists of 17 leaders and CEOs working to deliver localised responses to the economic and social challenges posed by COVID-19.
Hunter Research Foundation’s Lead Economist Dr Anthea Bill, who has been providing briefings to the Taskforce, highlighted in a forum with Lord Mayor Nuatali Nelmes on Monday that 18.7% of young people aged 15 to 24 in Newcastle and Lake Macquarie are now unemployed.
Nationally, swathes more have been left underemployed with their work hours reduced due to widespread closures and social distancing measures, bringing the national youth underutilisation rate – that is, unemployment and underemployment combined – to a staggering 37%, affecting more than one in three young people.
The Lord Mayor said this had been felt most profoundly throughout the City across the tourism, hospitality and retail sectors.
“We know from the City Taskforce’s joint, industry-specific response to COVID-19, that some sectors have been impacted more than others, and naturally this has affected specific population groups such as youth,” the Lord Mayor said.
“This has been a driving force behind the Taskforce’s advocacy work, directing support where it’s most needed.”
Since its inaugural meeting on 17 April, the Taskforce has jointly penned a letter to NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian, urging the NSW Government to consider the plight of international students in the COVID-19 climate – many of whom have lost casual jobs and are unable to return home – and provide urgent financial assistance.
Looking at the bigger picture, the overall unemployment rate for Newcastle and Lake Macquarie jumped from 3.6% in January to 7.7% in April, with 9,900 people estimated to have lost their jobs between March and April.
“No economy is prepared to deal with the fallout from a global pandemic,” the Lord Mayor said.
“However, owing to City of Newcastle’s strong financial position going into COVID-19, we are committed to delivering a record capital works program next year as part of our broader range of community support, which will help create local jobs and provide training to ensure our youth have the necessary skills to be employable in the emerging economy.
“This in addition to our joint advocacy work with the City Taskforce, neighbouring Councils and State and Federal members to attract stimulus funding for catalyst areas, including the Newcastle Airport expansion and Port of Newcastle diversification, on top of the City’s $2.5 million investment in graduate, apprentice and trainee recruitment this financial year.”
Additional upgrades for streets around Mall
The additions to the East End Stage One Streetscape plan were unanimously greenlighted by Council after extensive stakeholder engagement and design development over the past 12 months.
The works include new landscaping at the old Mall bus stop at the junction of Hunter and Scott Street and an overhaul for the stretch of footpath between Perkins and Brown streets.
Keightley Street will be closed to through traffic to prioritise pedestrians ahead of a Melbourne laneway-style development currently subject to DA determination, which if approved will see laneway activations either side of Hunter Street under the 2018 streetscape plan.Lord Mayor Nuatali Nelmes said the expanded plan dovetailed with Iris Capital’s transformation of the David Jones building into a five-star hotel and an exciting retail and hospitality proposal between Hunter and Keightley streets (modified image of Melbourne laneway left).
“The East End Stage One Streetscape Plan will guide the renewal of the public domain amid exciting private development that’s set to bring the area back to life,” Councillor Nelmes said.
“The scope of the original plan has been extended to include work between Perkins Street and Brown Street, taking in the redundant Hunter Street Mall bus stop. This area wasn’t included in the Light Rail project and needs rejuvenating together with Perkins, Newcomen, King and Scott streets.
“Plans for Market Street and Keightley Street will help transform them into a Melbourne laneway-style precinct, while the connections from Market Street Lawn will be improved for both pedestrians and cars thanks to two pedestrian crossings either side of a broadened Market Street driveway, which will make it easier to access the post office.”
Artist impression of landscaping on Market Street.A range of other new treatments to make the area west of the Old David Jones building safer and more attractive include:
- Modifications to the intersection of Scott and Hunter, allowing increased pedestrian refuge to the western and southern sides of Hunter for landscaping and alfresco dining
- Realignment of the intersection of Hunter, Scott and Brown streets with a raised pedestrian crossing at the latter
- A separated bi-directional cycleway on the northern side of Hunter Street
- Relocation of the King Street bus stop from west of Perkins Street to just east
- A separated single direction cycleway on either side of Perkins Street
Provision for two separated cycleways on Perkins Street will ease access from King after a cyclist died in a collision with a truck turning into Perkins early last year.
The Hunter Street Newcastle East End Stage One Streetscape Plan was approved in June 2018 to complement the Mall’s overhaul by private investors.
The plan features new stone surfacing in and around the Mall, improved cycling access and better footway connections between Market Street Lawn and Christ Church Cathedral.
Artist impression of revitalised Hunter Street.
Appeal to locate missing man – Fingal Bay
Police are appealing for public assistance to locate a man missing from the Port Stephens area.
Daniel Skinner, aged 45, was last seen swimming with a friend at Fingal Spit, Fingal Bay, about 5pm yesterday (Tuesday 26 May 2020).
Both men exited the water with assistance from NSW Surf Life Saving members before Daniel left the area.
Officers from Port Stephens-Hunter Police District commenced a search for the man however he could not be located.
Police and friends hold serious concerns for his welfare.
A search is currently underway at Fingal Bay with Nelson Bay Police being assisted by the Marine Area Command, Police Rescue and SES volunteers.
Daniel is described as being of Caucasian appearance, about 180cm tall, with a medium build and brown hair.
He is known to frequent the Fingal Bay, Nelson Bay and Shoal Bay areas, and currently has no fixed place of abode.
Anyone with information about Daniel’s whereabouts is urged to contact police.
Council update: Ordinary Council Meeting Tuesday 26 May 2020
Following is a summary of resolutions from the Ordinary Council meeting of Tuesday 26 May 2020. NB: it is not a full record of resolutions.
Lord Mayoral Minutes
A Lord Mayoral Minute to extend condolences to the wife and family of former Newcastle Deputy Lord Mayor and union leader Denis Nichols upon his passing was supported.
Another Lord Mayoral Minute endorsing the formation of the Climate Emergency Australia Council and continued advocacy and collaboration on climate change was supported.
A Lord Mayoral for City of Newcastle to make a submission to draft determination on prices for Hunter Water Corporation from 1 July 2020 was supported.
Ordinary business
Adoption of Local Strategic Planning Statement
Council resolved to adopt the Local Strategic Planning Statement.
Exhibition of draft heritage strategy
Council voted to place the draft Heritage Strategy 2020-30 on public exhibition for 28 days.
Amendment to Newcastle LEP 2012 – Create new heritage item for Parkway Avenue, Newcastle
Council has endorsed a proposal to amend the Newcastle LEP 2012 to create a new heritage item for Parkway Avenue and will have the proposal forwarded to the Department of Planning for formal recognition.
Adoption of the updated East End Stage One Streetscape Plan
Council has adopted traffic changes to the Hunter Street Newcastle East End Stage One Streetscape Plan, which now includes works between Perkins Street and Brown Street after the block wasn’t upgraded during the Light Rail project.
Crown Reserves Management – devolved land
Council has endorsed an application to Crown Lands to change the status of three Crown Reserves -Federal Park, Wallsend, Waratah Park and West Park Adamstown – to ensure their ongoing use for sport and recreation Plans of Managements.
March quarterly review budget review statement
Council received the March Quarterly Budget Review Statement.
Executive monthly performance report
Council received the Executive Monthly Performance Report.
Notices of Motions
City of Newcastle rating policy
Council supported a Notice of Motion to apply $2.6 million from a standard rate peg in 2020/21 to hardship measures targeted at individual rate payers experiencing financial hardship, including due to COVID-19 pandemic.
Skilled work regional visa (491) and changes impacting City of Newcastle
Another NOM was supported to write to the Premier, Deputy Premier and NSW Ministers requesting Newcastle and Wollongong be considered ‘regional’ for the purposes of the 491 Skilled Work Regional Visa, as per the Commonwealth definition.
No.1 Sportsground set for major revamp
Newcastle sporting fans craving top-class cricket and AFL matches will soon have it delivered on their doorstep as the City prepares for a major redevelopment of No.1 Sportsground.
The multi-million-dollar refurbishment will commence in September this year and deliver a major economic boost for the city. The extent of the works, which include an increase to the field size and additional seating, will ensure the ground is capable of hosting pre-season AFL matches and ‘Big Bash’-style cricket fixtures right in the heart of the city.
“This important redevelopment will now give our City the opportunity to extend our sporting reach on the main stage beyond NRL, Super Rugby and Supercars to also include elite-level cricket and AFL,” Newcastle Lord Mayor Nuatali Nelmes said.
No.1 Sportsground could again host first-class cricket and AFL matches
“No.1 Sportsground has not seen a significant redevelopment such as this since it was constructed in 1922. The upgrades include an upsized playing field, seven new cricket wickets, a new sight screen and an additional 390 new seats.
“Not only will our investment in this project attract top-class sporting codes, it will also benefit those playing at regional and grassroots levels who use No.1 Sportsground year-in, year-out.”
City of Newcastle is now inviting tenders for the multi-million reconstruction of the ground, expected to take up to 12 months to complete.
Plans to relocate clubs affected by the ground’s closure throughout the 2020/21 summer and 2021 winter sporting seasons have already been prearranged.
Cricket NSW CEO Lee Germon welcomed the upgrade and said it was a step in the right direction for both regional and high-level cricket codes.
“We have received advice from Council on their plans to upgrade the playing surface of No. 1 Sportsground and are pleased they intend to upgrade it to a top tier standard,” Mr Germon said.
“It should provide excellent quality for Newcastle cricketers and is an important step towards meeting the required standards for high level cricket.”
Chairman of Newcastle Cricket District Association Paul Marjoribanks said the renovations would help meet the day-night scheduling demands of the modern cricket era.
“The proposed upgrades will provide significant benefits to both local and regional cricket and also give Newcastle the opportunity to again host first-class cricket matches,” Mr Marjoribanks said.
“In particular the upgrades to the lighting will allow cricket to be played at night – which will bring it into line with modern-day cricket scheduling.”
As well as an increase in the size of the playing surface, improvements will be made to the drainage, irrigation, sub soil material and the turf.
A new perimeter fence will also be installed with new access gates, and the ground’s lighting will also be upgraded to support elite level sport.
Bleacher-style seating will also be installed, which will almost double the seating capacity of the ground from 400 to 790 people.
Missing Hunter man located – Tenambit
A man missing from the Hunter region has been located safe and well.
The 62-year-old man was last seen at a BMX trail on Metford Road, Tenambit, at about 1.30pm yesterday (Monday 26 May 2020). After he failed to return home that evening, he was reported missing to police.
Officers from Port Stephens-Hunter Police District commenced inquiries into his whereabouts.
The man was located about 8.15am today (Tuesday 26 May 2020).
Police would like to thank members of the public and media for their assistance.
Appeal for information after robber impersonated police officer in the Hunter
Police are appealing for assistance from the community after a man impersonated a police officer during a robbery in the Hunter region earlier this month.
About 10.45pm on Friday 8 May 2020, a 20-year-old male delivery driver attended Oakfield Road, Woodberry, to meet up with a pre-arranged online customer.
As he arrived, another car pulled up behind his vehicle, before a man approached the driver’s side claiming to be a police officer.
The man reached into the vehicle and attempted to remove the keys from the ignition, before assaulting the male driver.
He then stole a package from the back seat and ran back to the other vehicle before it drove off at speed.
The 20-year-old driver called Triple Zero (000) during the incident and later attended Maitland Police Station to report the incident.
Officers from Port Stephens-Hunter Police District have since commenced inquiries into the incident.
The man is described as being of Caucasian appearance, aged in his 30s, with a tattoo on the front of his neck, wearing a grey hooded jumper and dark trackpants.
Detectives are urging anyone who may live in the nearby area with CCTV or dashcam footage between 10pm and 11.30pm on Friday 8 May 2020, or who may have seen or heard anything suspicious to contact Maitland Police Station on 4934 0200 or call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
Armed robbery – Williamtown
Police are investigating an armed robbery in the Hunter early this morning.
About 3.30am today (Tuesday 26 May 2020), a 32-year-old male employee was inside a service station on Lavis Lane, Williamtown, when two men entered the store armed with a baseball bat and a machete.
The men threatened the attendant before one of the men hit him with the baseball bat and removed cash from the till.
A 38-year-old male customer then entered the store and was chased by the pair before they fled the scene, running north towards Nelson Bay Road.
Officers from Port Stephens-Hunter PD attended and established a crime scene and have commenced inquiries.
Anyone who may have CCTV or dashcam vision from the nearby area between 3am and 4am today (Tuesday 26 May 2020) or who may have seen or heard anything suspicious is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
Man charged following two police pursuits – Hunter region
A man will face court today after two pursuits through the Hunter at the weekend.
Shortly before 3pm on Friday 22 May 2020, officers attached to Traffic and Highway Patrol Command stopped a Toyota Corolla on Adelaide Street, Raymond Terrace, and spoke with the driver before he accelerated away and fled.
A pursuit was initiated, travelling through Raymond Terrace with the Toyota allegedly reaching an estimated speed of 140km/h in a sign-posted 50km/h zone.
The Toyota stopped on Charles Street and the driver fled on foot, pursued by officers; however, the man could not be located.
In a second incident, officers attached to Port Stephens-Hunter PD were patrolling Raymond Terrace Road, Chisholm, when they attempted to stop a Hyundai Santa Fe for a random breath test about 11pm yesterday (Sunday 24 May 2020).
When the Hyundai failed to stop, a pursuit was initiated travelling through Thornton and Millers Forest, allegedly reaching estimated speeds of 140km/h in a sign-posted 80km/h zone.
The Hyundai continued through several streets before stopping at a home on Waterbush Crescent, Woodberry, where the driver, a 54-year-old man and a female passenger, aged 42, were arrested and taken to Maitland Police Station
The driver underwent an oral fluid test which was positive for methylamphetamine and cannabis. A secondary test which also returned a positive result, has been sent for analysis.
He was charged with 10 offences, including police pursuit – not stop – drive dangerously, police pursuit – not stop – drive speed dangerous, drive whilst disqualified, possess prohibited drug, driver provide false name, exceed speed over 45km/hr and goods in custody.
Police will allege in court that the man was the driver of both vehicles at the time of the pursuits with police.
The Telarah man was refused bail to face Newcastle Local Court today (Monday 25 May 2020).
The female passenger was released without charge.
