Community invited to have their say on Newcastle Harbour Foreshore

The community is invited to play a part in the revitalisation of the Newcastle Harbour Foreshore, which envelops Foreshore Park and the Joy Cummings Promenade in Newcastle’s iconic East End.
City of Newcastle today commenced community engagement on the Harbour Foreshore Masterplan, which will help shape the blueprint to reinvigorate this important community hub with an inclusive playspace and improved recreation opportunities between Merewether Street, Newcastle and Foreshore Park.
In addition to having their say through online information sessions and workshops, surveys and an online mapping tool, Novocastrians are encouraged to submit an application to join the Community Reference Group (CRG). The role of this group is to provide input on the project and achieve a shared, community-owned vision that respects the foreshore’s history and paves its future.
Lord Mayor Nuatali Nelmes said Expressions of Interest (EOIs) in the CRG were now open, marking a significant milestone.
“The Community Reference Group will play an important, collaborative role in shaping and informing community outcomes, offering valuable insights into how this space might be used,” the Lord Mayor said.
“Together we can transform the Harbour Foreshore into an even more liveable and accessible recreational space to enjoy all that our picturesque coastline has to offer, which is paramount as our City grows.”
The CRG will consist of community members and stakeholders, including, but not limited to:

  • Residents;
  • Families;
  • Students;
  • Businesses;
  • Government bodies;
  • Indigenous groups; and
  • Accessibility advisories.

In conjunction with the Harbour Foreshore Masterplan, the City is working on the design of a ‘Variety Livvi’s Place’ inclusive playspace, for which Variety – The Children’s Charity has provided grant funding and will play a key part in its delivery.
“At Variety we believe that all kids deserve a fair go, including the ability to play,” Variety – the Children’s Charity NSW/ACT Inclusive Play Manager, Kim Becherand, said.
“Variety is proud to work alongside the City of Newcastle to create a truly inclusive playspace in the heart of Newcastle that will engage all children, parents, grandparents and friends in play. Variety Livvi’s Place playspaces are a key element of our broader mission to make sure no child misses out on what they need to join in and attain their full potential.”
Expressions of Interest in the Community Reference Group can be submitted via the City of Newcastle website. Submissions close on 26 June 2020.

Charges laid over alleged online threats – Belmont

Detectives have charged a man in the state’s Lake Macquarie region following investigations into alleged threats made online.
On Sunday (7 June 2020), detectives from the Fixated Persons Investigated Unit commenced an investigation, following reports a 49-year-old man had received threatening messages online.
Following inquiries, investigators executed a search warrant at a home at Belmont about 3.30pm yesterday (Monday 8 June 2020).
During the search, detectives located cannabis, medication without a prescription, two gel blasters and ammunition.
These items were seized to undergo forensic examination.
A 25-year-old man was arrested at the home and taken to Belmont Police Station.
He was charged with use carriage service to threaten to kill, possess prohibited drug, possess prescribed restricted substance, possess unauthorised firearm, and possess unauthorised prohibited firearm.
The man was granted strict conditional bail and is due to appear at Belmont Local Court on Monday 20 July 2020.
 

City’s libraries set to reopen

Plans for a staged reopening of Newcastle’s libraries will progress from 15 June after home library services resumed last week.
“The City has developed a staged approach to reopening our libraries’ doors to its members that prioritises public and employee safety,” Manager Libraries and Learning Suzie Gately said.
“We’ll start with reopening the Newcastle and Wallsend branches to library members on 15 June, limiting the number of customers inside to allow for social distancing and we will monitor browsing and attendance time using a ‘Library Express’ model.”
“We have modified our opening schedule to allow for adequate cleaning of the facilities. The City’s libraries have also expanded their online offerings during the COVID-19 pandemic which has led to an increase in downloads of the Library app of 233 per cent. Our expanded online program will continue.”
The Libraries’ membership has increased by more than 1,000 during the pandemic to 93,640 after the City invested $60,000 in 5,800 additional e-book and audiobook titles, plus a new video streaming platform ‘Medici TV’.
This follows a 213 per cent increase in usage of an online learning package offered through Newcastle Libraries, with 2,291 sessions streamed free of charge in April alone.
The Library has continued to engage its audience through 52 online programs such as Facebook Live story times, stop motion Lego clubs, kids online crafternoons, podcasts, author talks and creative workshops.
In May, almost nine hours of video content was published and more than four hours of Facebook Live kids’ programs were delivered receiving 11,433 views during the month.
Newcastle Museum will reopen to the public on 23 June, however the facility’s interactive attractions will remain closed for safety in line with State guidelines.
Blackbutt Reserve’s animal exhibit boardwalk reopened last week.

Three charged following investigation into ram raids – Lake Macquarie

Three men have been charged following an investigation into petrol station ram raids in the lower Hunter Region earlier this year.
Strike Force Emirs was established by the State Crime Command’s Robbery and Serious Crime Squad to investigate ram raids on two petrol stations in the Lake Macquarie area in March.
About 3.30am on Tuesday 3 March 2020, a car was used to force entry into a service station at Wyee, where a safe containing cash and $25,000 worth of cigarettes were stolen. The car was abandoned at the scene.
A short time later, a utility smashed into a second petroleum nearby at Fennel Bay, where several unsuccessful attempts were made to remove an ATM.
Following extensive inquiries, strike force detectives, assisted by Operations Support Group, executed search warrants at three properties at Cessnock from 7.45am yesterday (Thursday 4 June 2020).
During the searches, police seized a number of items relevant to the investigation.
Two men – aged 18 and 23 – were arrested during the warrants and taken to Maitland Police Station.
The younger man was charged with three counts of take and drive conveyance without consent of owner, three counts of aggravated break and enter dwelling etc in company steal, be carried in conveyance taken without consent of owner, drive conveyance taken without consent of owner, never licensed person drive vehicle on road and enter building/land with intent commit indictable offence.
The second man was charged with four counts of drive while licence cancelled, three counts of aggravated break and enter dwelling etc in company steal, two counts of police pursuit – not stop – drive at speed, two counts drive recklessly/furiously or speed/manner dangerous, enter building/land with intent commit indictable offence, take & drive conveyance without consent of owner, drive conveyance taken without consent of owner, steal motor vehicle, aggravated robbery and destroy etc property in company use fire etc.
A third man, aged 25, was arrested at a correctional facility and taken to Maitland Police Station.
He was charged with three counts of aggravated break, enter and steal, two counts of take and drive conveyance without consent of owner, drive conveyance without consent of owner, two counts of drive motor vehicle during disqualification period and enter building/land with intent to commit indictable offence.
Police will allege in court that the group stole three vehicles before using the cars to force entry into two service stations and steal cash and goods.
They were all refused bail and appeared at Maitland Local Court today (Thursday 4 June 2020).
The 18-year-old and 25-year-old were both formally refused bail to appear at Cessnock Local Court on Thursday 11 June 2020.
The 23-year-old man was also refused bail to appear at Cessnock Local Court on Wednesday 5 August 2020.

City to prioritise upgrades to Newcastle Ocean Baths' pools

City of Newcastle will begin upgrading Newcastle Ocean Baths from early next year to improve the safety and accessibility of its two pools while community consultation continues on future improvements to the site’s historic pavilions.
Remediation of the 1920s-era facility’s swimming pools, promenades and pump house are among the first stage works presented to the Newcastle Ocean Baths Community Reference Group (CRG) this week.
Large-pool-NOB-inside.jpg
“Newcastle Ocean Baths is treasured by our community and we know how important it is to get on with the upgrades to the pools while at the same time ensuring the community has a role in co-designing improvements to the iconic pavilions,” Newcastle Lord Mayor Nuatali Nelmes said.
“That’s why we’re prioritising a refurbishment of the pools and their surrounds to improve safety and accessibility while ensuring adequate time to work with the community on a plan for the pavilion that respects the heritage and integrity of the site.
“The City will work with the Newcastle Ocean Baths Community Reference Group over the coming year to develop concept designs for the future pavilion upgrades, which will then be available for further community feedback.”
The CRG was formed to help plan the renewal through discussions and co-design workshops.
Concept designs for the upcoming upgrade to the pavilions and surrounds will be developed with CRG input and be presented to the broader community for comment prior to final concept design being placed on public exhibition.
The elected Council will then consider the plan before the project progresses to detailed design.
Large-pool-NOB2-inside.jpg
Preliminary engagement was carried out for the future use of Newcastle Ocean Baths from November 2019 to March 2020 to capture the community’s wishes.
The engagement activities were promoted right across Newcastle to ensure the broadest number of people had a chance to comment, and included:

  • An online ideas wall that drew 840 comments on Newcastle Ocean Baths
  • 898 telephone surveys
  • 129 intercept face-to-face surveys for Newcastle Ocean Baths at locations across the LGA

Results included support for improving shade and access, maintaining the aesthetic of the existing site and enhancing the kiosk offering. The full engagement report can be downloaded here.

Man critical after crash – Hunter Valley

An investigation is underway following a two-car crash that left a man in a critical condition in the Hunter region overnight.
Around 8.30pm (Thursday 4 June 2020), emergency services were called to the Hunter Expressway, near Seahampton, following reports of a two-car crash.
Officers attached to Hunter Valley Police District attended, along with NSW Ambulance paramedics, Fire and Rescue NSW, the Volunteer Rescue Association, Newcastle Rescue and Transport Management Centre.
Police have been told the two cars collided before hitting the dividing barrier on the expressway.
The driver of one vehicle, a 79-year-old man, was trapped for a short time before he was released and taken to John Hunter Hospital in a critical condition. He is now undergoing surgery.
The driver of the second vehicle, a man aged 30, was taken to John Hunter Hospital for mandatory testing.
A crime scene has been established and the circumstances surrounding the incident will be investigated by officers from the Crash Investigation Unit.
Traffic delays are expected with both eastbound lanes on the Hunter Expressway closed and traffic being diverted onto John Renshaw Drive. Westbound traffic is being diverted into the breakdown lane.
As inquiries continue, police urge anyone with information about the crash, or who may have dashcam footage, to contact police.

Body of missing man located – Lake Macquarie

A body has been found at Cardiff, believed to be that of a man reported missing from Lake Macquarie.
A 27-year-old man was reported missing to officers from Lake Macquarie Police District when he failed to return to his home on Cedar Street, Cardiff, on Tuesday (2 June 2020).
An investigation commenced, and following inquiries, the body of a man was located in bushland in Cardiff on Wednesday (3 June 2020).
A report will be prepared for the information of the Coroner.
The death is not being treated as suspicious.

Digital parking permit applications open

Newcastle residents can now apply online for digital parking permits as the City transitions to a more efficient and effective permit system.
The move to digital permits means annual email and mail applications, or visits to the City’s customer service centre, will no longer be needed to renew either resident or resident-visitor permits.
The whole process can be completed online and will no longer require residents or their visitors to stick permits on windscreens or dashboards – numberplates will indicate vehicles covered by a permit from Wednesday 24 June 2020.
All existing permit holders will receive an email from the City notifying them that they need to register for the digital permit system.
“This streamlined digital parking permit process is great news for the holders of around 2,500 permits across the city,” City of Newcastle Governance Director David Clarke said.
“Digital parking permits are the latest customer service we’re taking online after transitioning rates and on-street parking payments, library memberships and other services with great success over the past few years. Digitising permit renewals will save residents and our staff a huge amount of time and resources.
“The digital permit system will generate email reminders a month and two-weeks before permits are due to expire each year, giving residents an opportunity to update their residential, payment and vehicle details prior to permit renewal.”
Instructions on how to register and apply for permits are available on our Parking Permits page.
Enquiries can be made by contacting the Parking Operations team for assistance on 4974 2000
The resident parking permit, visitor and pensioner parking permits will be valid for 12 months from the date of approval.
Existing permits will no longer be valid from Wednesday 24 June 2020.

Want to help during the COVID-19 pandemic? This app is how

An app that allows everyday people to help local businesses struggling through the COVID-19 pandemic has been launched today.
‘Lean In Newy’ connects organisations that need support, with people wanting to help, while providing added encouragement through $50,000 in vouchers and discounts redeemable at local businesses.
Lord Mayor Nuatali Nelmes said Novocastrians have been brimming with community spirit in response to COVID-19 and Lean In Newy would direct people’s desire to help where it’s most needed.
“COVID-19 has had an unprecedented effect on our community, with older people experiencing increased isolation and businesses suffering a downturn in trade, while other people have found themselves suddenly with more time on their hands,” the Lord Mayor said.
“We have been hearing from many people in the community wanting to help but not knowing how. Lean In Newy is the answer to those asking, ‘How can I help?’.
“Charitable organisations like OzHarvest, Dog Rescue Newcastle and Take 3 For The Sea have registered with Lean In Newy to put out a call for volunteering opportunities, and those who put their hand up will be rewarded with incentives like a free coffee at a local café.
“There are already 23 businesses and 11 not-for-profits signed up, with more in talks, and City of Newcastle is funding the discounts or incentives offered through businesses during the COVID-19 recovery phase.
“Lean In Newy is a fantastic way for us to play our part in helping local businesses and community organisations get back on their feet.”
Lean-In-Newy-(1).jpg(L-R): Family Support Newcastle CEO Sue Hellier, Lord Mayor Nuatali Nelmes and Zebra Finch owner Kate McNally assemble kids’ activity packs.
Family Support Newcastle is one of those community organisations. CEO Sue Hellier said the organisation’s role in promoting the wellbeing of children and their families, individuals and communities was more vital than ever in light of recent hardship caused by COVID-19.
“Many of our activity groups and face-to-face support services have been impacted by COVID-19, but our mission remains the same. There are still ways the community can assist, like purchasing items and assembling kids’ activity or sanitisation packs at home and dropping them off at our Waratah centre,” Ms Hellier said.
“Lean In Newy will be a great help for organisations like us that need more support during this challenging time, and we’re very thankful to City of Newcastle for developing this initiative.”
Likewise, local business owner Kate McNally, who operates Zebra Finch at Marketown and Kotara, said she was grateful for the helping hand to encourage customers back to the stores.
“As a small business, we have felt the impacts of COVID-19 closures and social distancing measures quite profoundly, with a significant downturn in trade,” Mrs McNally said.
“It’s a relief to have the City’s support to help get back on track.”
Download Lean In Newy from the App Store or Google Play or visit leaninnewy.com.au.

Attempted armed robbery – Medowie

Police are investigating after an attempted armed robbery in the Hunter overnight.
About 8.35pm (Wednesday 3 June 2020), a 34-year-old male employee was inside a takeaway shop on Ferodale Road, Medowie, when a man entered the store and threatened him with a knife.
The armed man demanded cash before fleeing empty handed after the attendant grabbed a nearby kitchen utensil and challenged him.
Officers from Port Stephens-Hunter Police District attended a short time later and established a crime scene.
The man is described as being aged in his late teens, between 160cm-170cm tall, with his face covered.
Anyone who may have CCTV or dashcam footage from the nearby area between 8pm and 9pm yesterday, or who may have information which could assist detectives is urged to contact Raymond Terrace Police on 4983 7599 or call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.