A man has been charged with murder after allegedly running down another man with a 4WD in the Hunter in 2018.
Police were called to a home on Edith Street, Cessnock, about 11pm on Tuesday (25 September 2018), and found a 36-year-old man seriously injured in the backyard.
He was treated by NSW Ambulance paramedics but died at the scene.
Officers from Hunter Valley Police District established Strike Force Lirki to investigate the circumstances surrounding the incident.
Following extensive inquiries, police arrested a 34-year-old man on Maitland Street, Cessnock, about 10am today (Wednesday 17 June 2020).
He was taken to Cessnock Police Station and charged with murder and drugs offences.
Police will allege in court that the man drove a Nissan Patrol 4WD into the backyard and pinned the man between the car and a shed, causing fatal injuries.
Police will also allege the pair were known to each other.
He was refused bail to appear at Cessnock Local Court today (Wednesday 17 June 2020).
Category: Newcastle News
All the news happening in the Newcastle and Hunter Region
CLAYDON PREPARES TO SLEEP IN CAR IN CANBERRA
Federal Member for Newcastle Sharon Claydon will spend the night sleeping in her car in Canberra after a fortnight in Federal Parliament. Canberrans are expecting a minimum overnight temperature of 3 degrees.
“The night is being run slightly differently this year as a result of COVID, with participants taking part from their cars, couches or backyards,” Ms Claydon said.
“The CEO Sleepout provides some insight into homelessness and demands that we focus on some of the issues that homeless people confront every day.”
Ms Claydon said the CEO Sleepout raises money for local Vinnie’s services providing food, accommodation, healthcare and support for people experiencing, or at risk of, homelessness.
“Last year, the donations to the Newcastle CEO Sleepout delivered funding for the Matthew Talbot Centre in Wickham to employ a property officer and a specialist mental health worker to give people the assistance and support to successfully transition to the private rental market.
“The CEO Sleepout will deliver a concrete positive outcomes for our community in Newcastle. I’d encourage everyone to dig deep and support it.”
Ms Claydon said it was a national tragedy that more Australians are homeless than ever before.
“On any given night, close to 120,000 Australians will be homeless. For a wealthy country like Australia – that’s to our great shame.
“Stable and secure housing, is absolutely central to developing wellbeing in all areas of our lives.”
Ms Claydon commended the work of Vinnie’s and all frontline services working to help people facing homelessness, but said that governments need to do more.
“We’ve seen through the COVID-19 crisis that where there is genuine commitment, we can rapidly reduce the number of people sleeping on the streets, in cars, or on couches,” Ms Claydon said.
“Now we need to take that political will and commit to genuine long-term solutions to drive down homelessness.”
To support Sharon and donate to the CEO Sleepout, visit https://www.ceosleepout.org.au/fundraisers/sharon-claydon-sharon-claydon-mp/newcastle
Wanted man charged over alleged road rage incident – Newcastle
A man has been charged with outstanding warrants and firearm offences after a public-place shooting in Stockton earlier this month.
Just after 7pm on Tuesday 9 June 2020, police responded to reports of an alleged road-rage incident on Fullerton Street, Stockton.
Police have been told two vehicles – a blue SUV and a utility – were involved in a driving incident before the SUV driver allegedly produced a firearm and discharged it towards the utility.
The SUV was driven away, last seen turning onto King Street.
Following inquiries, officers from Newcastle City Police District, attended licenced premises on Maitland Road, Mayfield, and arrested a 31-year-old man at about 8.30pm yesterday (Tuesday 16 June 2020).
During a search of man, police located a sawn-off firearm and several rounds of ammunition.
He was taken to Newcastle Police Station, where he was charged with possess unregistered firearm-prohibited firearm, possess shortened firearm (not pistol) w/o authority, not keep firearm safely – prohibited firearm, possess ammunition without holding licence/permit/authority and for two outstanding warrants.
The man has been refused bail to face Newcastle Local Court today.
Help shape how we manage Newcastle’s rich heritage
Community members are invited to have their say on how to manage the city’s heritage assets and better recognise Newcastle’s Aboriginal history.
A rich portfolio of local conservation areas and buildings are noted for their character and heritage significance in The City of Newcastle Heritage Strategy.
An updated version, which is on public exhibition from today, places greater emphasis on Newcastle’s original inhabitants in guiding management of the city’s historical treasures over the next decade.
Highlighted are the Awabakal and Worimi people’s early encounters with European settlers and subsequent history of dispossession, as well as the reconciliatory 2016 recognition by the Geographical Names Board of eight places and landmarks with dual Aboriginal names.
“We are engaging with the local community and stakeholders to communicate our commitment to the protection, support and promotion of Newcastle’s heritage,” Councillor Peta Winney-Baartz said.
Left: Toby CEDAR Op Nor Beizam (Shark Mask) White 2018 bamboo cane, twine, raffia, pearl shell, acrylic paint, feather 80.0 x 56.0 x 31.0cm Les Renfrew Bequest 2019 Courtesy the artist. In 2019-2020, 20 of 37 works purchased for the Newcastle Art Gallery collection were by Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander artists. This work was one of those acquisitions.
“Our city has a unique mix of heritage conservation areas, archaeological sites, heritage-listed buildings and places that are recognised and protected for their character and heritage significance.
“The Awabakal and Worimi peoples, descendants of the traditional owners of the land, have ties dating back tens of thousands of years, and this updated strategy better considers their ancient and ongoing connection as well as their hardships since settlement in an unvarnished history.
“This is important because Newcastle is home to one of Australia’s largest Aboriginal populations, a diverse community drawn from many language groups which identify with, foster and protect their distinctive cultures, beliefs and languages through connection to land and each other.
“The new strategy emphasises our rich Aboriginal and European heritage and the important role the City’s public exhibitions and performances play at our museum, art gallery, libraries and theatres, all of which celebrate our cultural heritage.”
Joseph LYCETT Inner view of Newcastle c1818 oil on canvas 59.8 x 90.0cm Purchased with assistance from the National Art Collections Fund, London UK 1961 Newcastle Art Gallery collection.
The updated heritage strategy also builds on the Newcastle 2030 Community Strategic Plan (CSP).
“Through the CSP, the Newcastle community strongly expressed its wish for local heritage to be valued, enhanced and celebrated,” Councillor Winney-Baartz added.
“This heritage strategy allows Council to articulate a framework for achieving this vision, and to meet its statutory responsibilities.”
Community input will be considered when the draft Heritage Strategy 2020-2030 is finalised by Council later this year. Community members can review the draft strategy and have their say https://www.newcastle.nsw.gov.au/Community/Get-Involved/On-Public-Exhibition from Monday 15 June to Monday 13 July.
Newcastle visitor economy receives a boost with the opening of a new Visitor Information Centre
City of Newcastle has opened its new Visitor Information Centre (VIC), offering hands-on interactive experiences, tourist information and unique souvenirs for those welcoming friends and family to the city.
Housed in the repurposed Civic Railway Station, the VIC is located in the heart of Newcastle’s emerging tourist hub, nearby the under-construction five-star Kingsley Hotel and a stone’s throw from the Civic Theatre, Civic Park, City Hall and Museum.
Deputy Lord Mayor Cr Declan Clausen and Lord Mayor Nuatali Nelmes inside the new Visitor Information Centre.
Newcastle Lord Mayor Nuatali Nelmes said the VIC was opening just in time to welcome visitors back to the city following the lifting of many of the COVID-19 travel restrictions.
“The June long weekend saw many travellers take advantage of the relaxed restrictions in what was the first opportunity to hit the open road in months,” the Lord Mayor said.
“The establishment of the Visitor Information Centre is another very visible step in the maturity of our city as a tourist destination. Pre-COVID-19 figures showed about five million tourists visit Newcastle each year, which is a rise of about 60% over the past five years. The value of the Newcastle tourism economy increased 57.6% to $1.127 billion in the 12 months to March 2019 alone.
“And with two five-star hotels now under construction and Newcastle Airport offering seasonal flights to New Zealand, the number of visitors is set to surge even further. More than 1.2 million passengers passed through the airport in the 2018-19 financial year.”
City of Newcastle’s new Visitor Information Centre will play a vital role in boosting the local tourism industry, which has been decimated by COVID-19, as appetite for travel grows stronger, particularly with the July school holidays just around the corner.
“We have already received an influx of enquiries from interested travellers whom we can’t wait to welcome to our beautiful city.”
Following the site’s exterior renovation by Hunter and Central Coast Development Corporation, City of Newcastle undertook a full fit-out of the new VIC, including a hand-painted mural, incorporating a Welcome to Country in both Awabakal and Worimi languages, and a map of Newcastle printed on the vinyl floor.
As with all City of Newcastle services and facilities reopening, public health is paramount, and there is a COVID Safe Plan in place for the VIC’s operation that, in conjunction with physical distancing and hand hygiene practices, will ensure everyone can enjoy this new community space.
The Visitor Information Centre is conveniently located at the Civic light rail stop at 430 Hunter Street and will initially operate from 9.30am to 4.30pm, Monday to Friday, and 10am to 2pm on Saturdays. Sunday operation will commence as demand increases and restrictions further ease. There are more than 300 parking spaces within a five-minute walk.
Man charged over alleged historical child sex offences in Lake Macquarie
A man has been charged following an investigation into historic sexual assault offences in the Lake Macquarie region.
In January 2020, detectives from Lake Macquarie Police District established Strike Force Glenwarrie to investigate allegations of historic sexual and indecent assault offences against two juvenile boys in the 1990s.
Following extensive inquiries, detectives attended a facility at Silverwater and arrested a 62-year-old man about 11am today (Monday 15 June 2020).
He has since been charged with 15 offences including:
- Aggravated indecent assault – victim under the age of 16 years (x5)
- Commit act of indecency with person under 16 years
- Aggravated indecency – victim under 16 & under authority offender
- Aggravated sexual assault – victim under the age of 16 years (x5)
- Cause child under 14 to participate in child prostitution (x3)
Police will allege the man sexually and indecently assaulted two juvenile boys known to him on separate occasions in the 1990s at locations in Lake Macquarie and on the Mid North Coast.
The man was refused bail to appear at Newcastle Local Court via AVL tomorrow (Tuesday 16 June 2020).
Investigations under Strike Force Glenwarrie are continuing.
Man suffers fractured skull, police investigate – Muswellbrook
Police are appealing for public assistance as investigations continue into an assault that occurred in the front yard of a home in Muswellbrook last night.
About 7.30pm (Saturday 13 June 2020), a 28-year-old man was standing in the front yard of a home on Tindale Street, when he was reportedly assaulted.
He suffered a fractured skull and lacerations to his face and arms. He was treated at the scene before being taken to John Hunter Hospital where he remains in a serious but stable condition.
A crime scene was established at the Tindale Street home as investigations continue by officers from Hunter Valley Police District.
At this stage, the circumstances as to how the man suffered his injuries are unclear. Detectives are now calling for anyone who may have witnessed the incident to come forward.
Appeal for information after man assaulted at Newcastle licensed venue
Police are appealing for information after a man was assaulted at a licensed premise in Newcastle yesterday.
About 7pm (Saturday 14 June 2020), a 31-year-old man was at a licensed premise on Darby Street, Cooks Hill, with a group of friends, when they were approached and spoken to by a group of unknown men.
Police have been told the man was slapped and punched in the face by one of the unknown men, causing him to fall and lose consciousness.
The other members of the groups were then involved in a fight before security intervened.
Emergency services were called, and the 31-year-old man was treated by NSW Ambulance paramedics, before being taken to John Hunter Hospital where he remains in a stable condition.
Officers from Newcastle City Police District attended and commenced an investigation.
Detectives would like to speak to two men who may be able to assist with their inquiries.
They are both described as being of Caucasian appearance, about 25-35 years old, of muscular build, average height, with neck tattoos. One was wearing a white t-shirt and the other was wearing a green short-sleeved shirt.
Anyone with information about this incident is urged to contact Newcastle Police: 02 4929 0999 or Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000.
City to consult on future of Gregson Park
The future use for one of Newcastle’s oldest parks, Gregson Park, is set for further community consultation.
Situated in the heart of Hamilton, the 131-year-old park will be the subject of a masterplan process, including a community-wide engagement program that will help guide recreation opportunities and identify key uses for its future.
Starting Monday, the City will undertake a site analysis of the former Hamilton Bowling Club, investigating options for it to be converted into a temporary shade structure. Long term, through the development of the masterplan, this area will provide a space for re-adaptive use for community purposes.
Gregson Park gardens will be included in the park’s future consultation process
The masterplan will include design options and concepts captured during the initial consultation phase and will include community priorities for other facilities such as the playground, tennis courts, memorial, gardens and pathways, greenhouse and amenities block. Opportunities for further feedback will be available to the community once detailed plans are developed.
Newcastle Councillor Carol Duncan said she was thrilled to see an important parcel of our City’s past being recognised as an integral asset for the future.
“I’ve met with many Hamilton residents at Gregson Park and I’ve been heartened by their passionate calls for the City to reinvigorate this wonderful community asset that dates back to the late 1880s when it was gifted to the community by the then Hamilton Council,” Councillor Duncan said.
“Their ideas and input will be used as a catalyst to drive engagement on the park’s future, the importance of which stretches beyond Hamilton and across the City.
“We hope that by working together with the community, Gregson Park will remain a wonderful community asset for all of Newcastle for many decades to come.”
Chair of Hamilton Business Association Janice Musumeci welcomed the opportunity for the community to participate in developing a masterplan for the park.
“Gregson Park is an integral part of the Hamilton and wider city landscape. It is important that local businesses and the wider community have the opportunity to assist in creating a space that will meet our community’s needs now and into the future,” she said
The overall aim of the masterplan is to develop a flexible multi-use space that retains important botanical and heritage elements. This includes the park’s large fig trees and entrance gates that commemorate the first councillors of the historic Hamilton Council.
Other upgrades to be considered will be safety improvements – such as increased lighting – and better accessibly such as improved pedestrian and cycleway connectivity.
It is proposed that the masterplan process including community consultation and engagement will commence in the second half of 2020. The community will be informed of the consultation and engagement process and the City will be seeking input from all sections of the Hamilton community.
Man charged after allegedly defrauding Lake Macquarie clients in business scam
A man has been charged over the alleged use of an alias to gain financial advantage in the Lake Macquarie region.
In November 2019, detectives from Lake Macquarie Police District established Strike Force Corymbia to investigate alleged fraudulent offences committed by a 53-year-old man.
After extensive inquiries, police executed a search warrant at a home on Watson Street, Ellalong, about 15km south of Cessnock, where they arrested a 53-year-old man.
During the search, police located and seized a number of items including laptops and mobile phones.
He was taken to Cessnock Police Station and charged with dishonestly obtain financial advantage etc by deception, not specialist health practitioner take/use title as such and drive motor vehicle during disqualification period.
He was refused bail to appear at Newcastle Local Court later today (Friday 12 June 2020).
Police will allege the man used an alias and business to receive monies from clients and fraudulently obtained over $10,000.
Police will further allege the man promoted himself as a specialist doctor to clients.
Investigations under Strike Force Corymbia are ongoing. Anyone who may have information which could assist investigators is urged to come forward.
